We have an opening for a high-impact Python backend engineer who is excited to help organize and lead a team to build cloud services, APIs, data pipelines and tools for mass-scale, AI-powered, consumer apps. This could be a great opportunity for an ambitious, hands-on, backend engineer with strong systems architecture skills and interests in mass-scale platforms, backend infrastructure, performance engineering, and machine learning.
- Organize and lead a small team of backend platform engineers --- guiding the architecture, planning & tracking the team’s projects and defining roadmaps.
- Design and develop reliable and high-performance backend APIs to power our customer facing services.
- Create internal applications and tools to support the company’s engineering teams
- Benchmark and optimize performance of key APIs, microservices, and databases.
- Build infrastructure to measure, monitor, and enhance our real-time AI and service pipelines and key business analytics.
- Mentor and develop engineers within the Platform Engineering team as well as serving as an engineering bar-raiser across company-wide engineering organizations.
- Interface with other teams in the IKEA family to integrate our capabilities into new IKEA websites and services.
- Telecommuting is OK
- Agencies are OK
- History of maintainable backend systems design and architecture.
- Emotionally-intelligent leadership skills -- able to lead through respect and example.
- Strong expertise in Python and web API development.
- Thorough understanding of Git development workflows and branching.
- Proficiency with SQL (especially PostgreSQL).
- Experience planning sprints and coordinating within and between teams.
- Strong English communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Remote work is awesome, but must be able to work most of a Pacific Time work day (UTC-7/8).
- Experience with Django and common Django ecosystem tools such as Django-REST-Framework.
- Experience with container tools like Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience with task/message queues and job scheduling systems (e.g. Celery, RabbitMQ, Airflow, Dagster, etc.).
About the Company
Geomagical Labs is building augmented reality tools for home decoration and improvement. We use the power of modern computer vision and AI techniques to create delightful experiences for a well-known and beloved global brand, with hundreds of millions of users.