Muck Rack is the leading SaaS platform for public relations and communications professionals. Our mission is to make PR pros more successful by providing them with technology to find journalists to pitch, monitor media, quantify their impact and work more efficiently with their teams.
Self-funded, quickly growing, and remote-first, Crain’s named Muck Rack one of the best places to work in 2019 and 2020. We value resilience, transparency, ownership, and customer devotion and infuse these values into everything we do.
Muck Rack’s engineering team powers a platform that is meaningfully changing how journalists, PR pros, and marketers around the world work. We’re looking for a collaborative and self-motivated Senior Django Developer to join our small but quickly growing team and make a big impact.
As a Senior Django Developer you’ll work alongside the CTO, fellow software engineers, product managers, and designers, to execute major technical projects on Muck Rack, lead the building of new features, and help shape our engineering culture and processes. Our engineers are not siloed to any particular part of the application–everyone contributes everywhere. You should be excited about working with large amounts of data.
Our tech stack includes Python, Django, Celery, MySQL, Elasticsearch, Vue, and Webpack. Our technology team is focused on scale, quality, delivery, and thoughtful customer experience. We ship frequently without sacrificing work/life balance.
To be set up for success in this role, you’ll need to have:
- 5+ years total professional experience as a software engineer
- Django or significant web experience in a similar framework
If any of the below also describe you, this could be an exciting opportunity:
- Worked on a complex, high-traffic site at a startup or software-as-a-service company, ideally with large amounts of data
- Experience with MySQL (or Postgres) and/or ElasticSearch
- Any combination of the following: experience with Celery, Luigi or Airflow, Kafka, AWS, NLP, data model performance tuning, content extraction, application performance tuning
- Familiarity with modern frontend frameworks (like Vue or React) and development patterns
- Interest in journalism, news, media or social media
In addition, we’re always looking for candidates who:
- Have excellent communication skills, with an ability to explain ideas clearly, give and receive feedback, and work well with team members
- Exhibit a willingness to learn in areas where they have less experience with our tech stack
- Take pride in the quality of their code. (Your code should be readable, testable, and understandable years later. You adhere to the Zen of Python)
- Work well in a fast-paced development environment with testing, continuous integration and multiple daily deploys
- Have the ability to manage complexity in a large project, and incur technical debt only after considering the tradeoffs
- Take a logical approach to problem solving that combines analytical thinking and intuition
**We are actively interviewing candidates across the US, Canada, Poland and Bulgaria only**
Benefits of Working at Muck Rack
- Flexible remote-first company
- Off-the-grid vacation
- 401(k) plan with employer contributions
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Access to OneMedical, 24/7 Virtual Care, and an Employee Assistance Program
- Paid parental leave
- Commuter benefits
- Discounted gym & bike memberships
- Opt-in disability and life insurance
- Subscription to Learning & Development platform
- Self funded means we have the freedom to build forward-thinking products and put our customers first
- Inclusive culture that listens to and welcomes diverse perspectives
Muck Rack encourages individuals from a broad diversity of backgrounds to apply for positions. We are an equal opportunity employer, meaning we're committed to a fair and consistent interview process.