PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
We’re looking for a gameplay programmer who excels at designing and implementing character behavior, controls, and camera for 3rd-person AAA action games. This person will partner with the Game Director to craft an extraordinary player experience for projects like Marvel’s Wolverine — the quintessential Logan! If this is the role you have been looking for, please read on!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Designs and implements core combat and traversal systems for 3rd-person, character-based games
- Drives the development of innovative player mechanics.
- Works closely with content creators on feature implementation, providing technical, creative, and scheduling feedback; expand and adapt designs to meet project goals
- Builds and improves proprietary tools to expose gameplay features and systems to content creators.
- Solicits feedback from content creators on how to streamline workflow and improve efficiency.
- Provides time estimates to leads and management; keeps co-workers up-to-date on progress of programming work as well as non-programming prerequisites for feature implementation
- Other duties may be assigned
Education and/or Experience:
- Two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, (desired) and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
- Strong 3D math skills, including but not limited to practical knowledge of vectors and vector operations, matrices and matrix transformations, and the various different representations of rotations (Euler, angle-axis, quaternion).
- The basics of intersection testing and collision are a plus.
- Proficient with an application programming language (C and C++)
- Ability to adhere to the prevalent coding style and practices, including source control standards.
- Understanding of procedural and object-oriented programming paradigms.
- Familiarity with commercial content creation packages.
- Familiarity with component-based programming paradigms.
- Dedication towards individual and team growth.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work in and contribute to a collaborative environment.
- Ability to drive the creation of fun and innovative gameplay.
- Must be flexible with schedule changes and shifting timetables.
- Needs to be able to work independently and efficiently when required. Ability to multitask several time-intensive tasks at once.